COVID-19 UPDATE: The library building opens this week with special student curfew hours. See SMUMN Libraries COVID-19 Updates and Resources for the latest news and more information on hours. Please remember wearing a mask everywhere in the library is required. As an added precaution no food or drink will be allowed in the library. Online services are available. Use this link to contact us.
Your Personal Librarian
All undergraduates have a personal librarian who will:
- send you email updates about the library
- answer your library questions
- assist you in locating library resources
- help you when you are not sure where to start with research
Personal librarians are assigned based on your area of study. Call, email. set up an appointment or just stop by –your librarian is here to help you with any questions you might have about your research or anything library related.
Business & Communication, Education, Fine & Performing Arts: Lauren Leighton
Biology, Chemistry, GIS, Mathematics, Computer Science & Physics: Lori Pesik
First Year Experience, English/World Languages, Psychology, and Social Sciences (Criminal Justice, Political Science, & Sociology): Kate Johnson
History, Philosophy, & Theology: Ruth Ann Torstenson LeMasters
Reserve a Group Study Room
Fitzgerald Library has ten rooms available for students to reserve for group study:
- Upper McEnery rooms 237-240,
- Upper level Library rooms #201 & #203
- Main level Library rooms #117 & #119
- Lower level Library rooms #11 & #13
Students will need to reserve all study rooms through the library webpage reservations system. At their reservation time students will pick up a key to open the study room at the circulation desk and will leave their ID at the desk until they return the key. There will be disinfecting materials available for students to use prior to their use of any study space or computers in the library.
Rooms can be reserved:
- up to 2 weeks in advance
- for a maximum 2 hour reservation time
- for a maximum of 2 reservations per account; cannot be consecutive times
- for academic purposes only
Go to our Reserve Group Study Rooms page to see what rooms and time slots are available. Pick a date, a time, and then click on the “Book it” link to reserve the space.
When you book a slot you will be asked to log in. Your user name is the 14 digit number at the bottom of your student ID card (2350000 …) and your password is your last name.
You can access your current room bookings or delete bookings here.
See the Library Technology page for how rooms are equippedBook a Study Room
Your instructors may put books, articles, or DVDs on reserve. These can be picked up at the Circulation Desk with your student ID. Generally these items must stay in the library and the loan period is usually 2 hours. DVDs may be viewed on any of the PCs in the library. Headphones are available for check out at the Circulation Desk.
To find out what is on reserve go to the Fitzgerald MNPALS Library catalog and chose Course Reserves from the menu on the right hand side of the search box. Here you may search by your professor’s name, your course title (e.g. PH400), or the title of the item you are looking for.
Please Note: Significant fines will apply when reserve materials are held past the time when they are due back. See more fine information on our Circulation Policy page.
Librarians can provide assistance at every stage of your research process. Get help finding books, searching databases, selecting key words, citing your sources, or anything else that can help you complete your research assignments successfully.
During fall semester, Saint Mary’s Libraries will offer virtual services to better support student needs. Students can consult with a librarian via phone, chat, email, and Zoom appointments. Use the red “Ask a Question” button to chat with a librarian.
Chat with one of us during the hours listed here.
- Monday & Tuesday: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- Wednesday–Friday: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- Saturday: Noon to 6:00 PM
Our chat widget allows you to send your question by email during our off hours and a librarian will get back to you the next day.
You can also make an appointment for an online research consultation with your personal librarian or library liaison
Along with a collection of books, DVDs, online resources, and computers, the Fitzgerald Library provides quiet places to study (in the Lower Level or study carrels), group study rooms, general study and collaborative spaces, and some comfortable arm chair seating.
Students may bring food and drinks into the library. There is a microwave available in the lower level near the vending machines.
The library provides a variety of computer, printers, scanners, etc.
- Gremelsbach Lab Main Floor–12 PCs, 2 printers, 1 scanner,1micro fiche/film reader
- Reference Room Main Floor–13 PCs, 1 printer, 1 iPad catalog station
- Lab 33 Lower Level–30 PCs, 1 presenter station (PC, Elmo, projector), 1 printer
- McEnery “Pit” Lower Level–4 Macs, 1 printer, 1 scanner
- Quiet Study Area Lower Level–3 PCs, 1 iPad catalog station
- McEnery Upper Level–2 PCs, 1 printer
- McEnery Upper level Study Rooms–Collaborative work stations in each room for group presentations, includes Apple TV
- Fitzgerald Library Upper Level–3 PCs, 1 iPad catalog station
Computers & Technology
Equipment , Supplies, etc.
Available at the Circulation Desk. ID card needed.
- Markers for whiteboards
- Head phones
- Adapter cables
- CD player
- Rulers, glue sticks, markers, etc.
Due dates at the end of Fall Semester:
Undergraduate due dates for books is January 25th, 2021
DVDs checked out on or after Sunday November 15th will be due January 25th, 2021 for both faculty and students