About the Collections
The University Archives, located in the McEnery Center, consist of over 600 linear feet of manuscripts, publications, records, and artifacts. Included are thousands of images–primarily photographs and slides.
In the Fitzgerald Library, Special Collections houses a substantive local history collection that provides context for the history of the university, as well as a collection of volumes of general historical value. Records for these titles can be accessed using the MNPALS Catalog.MNPALS Catalog
Accessing the Collections
Archive access is available to Saint Mary’s University faculty, staff, and enrolled students, as well as alumni and public researchers. Access is by appointment only. Contact the Library Director Laura Oanes ( (507) 457-6909 | firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an appointment to request materials or add materials to the collection. All materials must be signed for before using.
To access materials in Special Collections contact a reference librarian at the Research Assistance Desk on the main level of the library.
Archives & Special Collection Highlights
- Father Edward Lynch’s collection on Saint Mary’s college, 1922-1931
- Brother J. Robert Lane’s collection on Saint Mary’s College history, 1910-1970
- College university catalogs
- Campus publications, newspapers, periodicals, and newsletters
- Photograph/image collection, 1900-2003
- Christian Brothers collection
- Diocese of Winona collection
- A Letter from Martin Luther King
After reading Time Magazine’s February 18th, 1957 cover story on Martin Luther King and the article
“Two Women of Kentucky” which appeared in The Commonweal magazine on February 8th, Brother Luke Herbert,
then Fitzgerald’s Head Librarian, wrote a brief note to Martin Luther King, Jr. In a few days he received
Reverend Martin Luther King’s reply. Both letters can be found in Saint Mary’s University archives.