What is the protocol?
Fitzgerald Library provides group study rooms to currently enrolled Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota students, faculty and staff. The main purpose of these rooms is to provide space for students to engage in collaborative study in small groups.
- Group Study Rooms (McEnery 237-240) are available for booking by students through the library online room booking system.
- Users without reservations must vacate the room when requested by someone with a valid reservation.
- Groups of two or more will have preference in the use of Group Study Rooms. While individuals may use a room if it is empty, please cooperate by surrendering the space if requested by a group or library staff.
- Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis when not reserved.
- Group Study Rooms are not to be used for Campus or Activity meetings after 3 p.m. Please use other classroom areas on campus (available for reservation in Astra Scheduling system) for these meetings.
- If a room is discovered unoccupied for more than 15 minutes, all belongings will be placed behind the library’s circulation desk and the room will be made available to other patrons.
- Library conduct applies to the Group Study Rooms just as it does for the rest of the building.
- Belongings should not be left unattended in the Group Study Rooms. The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of personal property.
- Library staff routinely monitors all Group Study Rooms. The Library reserves the right to enter a Group Study Room at any time.
Faculty wishing to use Group Study Rooms (McEnery 237-240) for their classes during the daytime should use the online Astra Room Scheduling system. These reservation requests will be approved by the library director.
Individuals always have access to study carrels on the perimeters of all floors. Study rooms in the upper and lower levels of the library building are available on a first come, first served use.
As with many things in our library building, policy about use of the group study rooms is subject to change based on experience and need. We welcome your comments about this policy or anything else about the building: email@example.com
Fitzgerald Library, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Group Study Room Use Policy 08/2013
Main Level: Social Area
Please adhere to the following policies when studying on the main level:
- Group Study
- Patrons should keep in mind that they are in a library and conversation and noise should be kept at a reasonable level so as not to disturb others
Lower Level: Quiet Area
Please adhere to the following policies when studying on the lower level:
- Individual study
- No conversation
- Quiet group study only in group study rooms and classrooms. Please keep doors shut
- Please use headphones. Music must not be loud enough to disturb others
- Please turn your cell phone ringer off when entering the library
- Brief cell phone conversations (at low volume) are permitted in the entrance of the library, but it is suggested that calls be taken outside when possible
Please report any disturbances to the Circulation Desk (1561) or the Research Desk (1562)
If you have any questions or concerns about the library’s noise policy, please contact Laura Oanes, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fitzgerald Library, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Noise Policy 08/2016
Food and drink is allowed in the library. Please use caution with beverages when working at computer stations. Your courteous behavior will enable the library to keep this friendly policy in place.
There is a microwave in the lower level of McEnery for your convenience.